- In the context of "zoology": the study of molluscs
Malacology is the branch of invertebrate zoology which deals with the study of mollusks, the second-largest phylum of animals in terms of described species. One division of malacology, conchology, is devoted to the study of the shells of mollusks.
Fields of malacological research include taxonomy, ecology, and evolution. Applied malacology studies medical, veterinary, and agricultural applications, for example mollusks as mediators of such diseases as schistosomiasis.
Archaeology employs malacology to understand the evolution of the climate, the biota of the area, and the usage of the site.
In 1794, the first compilation of mollusks was published. In 1868, the German Malacological Society was founded.
- American Malacological Society
- Association of Polish Malacologists (Stowarzyszenie Malakologów Polskich)
- Belgian Malacological Society (Société Belge de Malacologie) - French speaking
- Belgian Society for Conchology (Belgische Vereniging voor Conchyliologie) - Dutch speaking
- Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Conchologists of America
- Dutch Malacological Society (Nederlandse Malacologische Vereniging)
- Estonian Malacological Society (Eesti Malakoloogia Ühing)
- European Quaternary Malacologists
- Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society
- German Malacological Society (Deutsche Malakozoologische Gesellschaft)
- Italian Malacological Society (Società Italiana di Malacologia)
- Malacological Society of Australasia
- Malacological Society of London
- Malacological Society of the Philippines, Inc.
- Spanish Malacological Society (Sociedad Española de Malacología)
- Western Society of Malacologists
Further bibliographic detail
- Editors are L R Cox and J F Peake Proceedings of the First European Malacological Congress September 17-21 1962. Text in English with black and white photographic reproductions, also maps and diagrams.
- D. Heppel, "The long dawn of Malacology: a brief history of malacology from prehistory to the year 1800." Archives of Natural History 22 (3): 301–319 (October 1995).
malacology in Catalan: Malacologia
malacology in Czech: Malakologie
malacology in German: Malakologie
malacology in Estonian: Malakoloogia
malacology in Spanish: Malacología
malacology in French: Malacologie
malacology in Interlingua (International Auxiliary Language Association): Malacologia
malacology in Italian: Malacologia
malacology in Georgian: მალაკოლოგია
malacology in Latin: Malacologia
malacology in Lithuanian: Malakologija
malacology in Dutch: Malacologie
malacology in Japanese: 軟体動物学
malacology in Norwegian: Malakologi
malacology in Occitan (post 1500): Malacologia
malacology in Polish: Malakologia
malacology in Portuguese: Malacologia
malacology in Romanian: Malacologie
malacology in Russian: Малакология
malacology in Simple English: Malacology
malacology in Tetum: Malakolojia
malacology in Thai: สังขวิทยา
malacology in Ukrainian: Малакологія